Thursday, December 11, 2008

Dumb Sheep

I was reading in John, chapter ten, about Jesus talking to the pharisees about a common, everyday, ordinary subject that anybody in first century Palestine would know and understand...sheep. It was THE way of life most common to those in everyday life. Jesus is like that, you know, talking to us in language we can understand easily...yet it is so deep and so rich under the surface. Anyhow, I digress, back to the sheep...sheep are just incredibly dumb and helpless, it is no wonder Jesus compares us to them so much. Sheep need to be led to water, led to food, led to shelter, protected from predators, led away from danger...none of it could be done on their own. I am so like that...Jesus needs to lead me to food and water for my soul in scripture and prayer, he is constantly protecting me and guiding me through the Spirit, he shelters me from the storms of life, and he leads me constantly through prayer. Jesus IS my shepherd. I know his voice and I am working on responding ONLY to his voice. We tend to get confused at times because we respond to alot of "other" shepherds voices that are not and/or should not be our shepherd. Do you know THE shepherd, Jesus', voice so well you know it without a doubt? Or, are you confused by the myriad of other voices of predators and false shepherds seeking to lead you away and to your ultimate destruction? We can learn a lesson from sheep as well, they will respond ONLY to THEIR shepherds voice and nobody elses...did you know that? Lets be like our comparison partners, the sheep...stay close to Jesus, the one and only shepherd of our hearts and lives. Merry Christmas!

No comments: